I'M RELAXING!!!!*

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hi everyone!

We're in Corpus, with Joedy's mom and our nieces and nephew, enjoying a few days at a hotel on the beach. We got here yesterday afternoon and went straight down to the water, which was very warm, almost Costa Rica warm, and after an hour of lolling around in the sand, looking at the clouds turn pink and then gold, listening to the ssshhh, ssshhhh, ssshhh of the waves, I realized that yes, I do miss the ocean.

It came as a bit of a surprise: the whole time we've been in Austin I've been like "miss the ocean? Nah, not really. We have so much water here!" Which is true, and it's true the ocean isn't far...but I do miss it. So it's nice to be here.

The departure and drive went swimmingly: we cleaned the entire house so it won't smell like a petting zoo when we get back Friday (I still don't know why it reeked so bad last time), and I packed an assortment of interesting but healthy foodstuffs so we wouldn't stop at a fast food joint right away, as we are usually wont to do. In the spirit of organized road-tripping I made Lula and Malko drape an immense towel over their entire bodies while eating their whole wheat pasta+parmesan salad and organic whole-grain dark chocolate chunk spelt cookies so crumbs wouldn't fall in the Super Luxury Deluxe vehicle we're borrowing; cleaning the car before we left, I was appalled by all the crud in the crevices of the leather seats, crud I'm pretty certain has accumulated since we've been using it.

Since we had plenty of grub on hand Malko was kept mute, for the most part: each time he started to fuss, flailing his arms like--crazy idea--he'd rather be out running around in the green fields we were passing, I shoved another cookie in his mouth. It worked: he'd shut up for a good fifteen minutes--enough time to chew the cookie, retrieve it from his mouth, look at it, smear some organic chocolate drool behind his ear and in his hair, and then offer, with a big smile, the wet crumby remains to his sister.

This morning we came back from the hotel breakfast (what is it about little packets of fake cream that makes them so exciting to me? I just, like, can't get enough of this hotel coffee!) and after Joedy and I tidied up the room I said "Well, I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I guess I don't really have anything I need to do..." and for some reason he laughed. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I'm not gainfully employed and technically my life isn't made up of a lot of "need to do's"? Or maybe because we're on a mini-vacation from Home Life and it's silly to be thinking of needing to do anything other than enjoying NOT doing laundry, dishes, laundry, dishes, laundry, dishes?

Uh oh--I think it might sound like I'm complaining about my hard life as an un-gainfully employed person! Definitely not. Definitely, definitely not. I don't mind Home Life at all: as long as I'm making headway towards becoming gainfully employed some day, preferably via a creative pursuit that I enjoy, I'm totally okey-dokey with the interminable onslaught of domestic duties. In fact, I kind of like them.

Oh god, WHERE am I going with this? Can we say "ramble"? Ramble.

My point is, I think, that I like being on vacation. I LOVE being on vacation. But after a few hours in the sand I kind of want to be doing something. I want to be making progress. I WANT TO GET SOMEWHERE, DAMMIT, WITH MY LIFE!

So it's a good thing, it's a REALLY good thing, I have this blog to write an entry in--an entry that will add to all the other entries, all the other entries that maybe mean something or maybe don't--

Jesus, I don't know. All I know is I'm thirty-six and seven months old and if I don't make something of myself sometime soon I'm going to commit hari-kari.

My name is Carrie and my legs are hairy!

The end.

Goodbye.

Thank god.


*a lot of hotel coffee has been consumed


No comments:

Post a Comment