GOODBYE PROVIDENCE

Tuesday, January 19, 2010


This is going to be a short entry, because I'm REALLY busy packing...

Joedy got into Texas this morning, he and the dogs having survived the 11.5-hour layover in Mexico City, and tonight I think they're spending the first night in our new house in Austin. Joedy's parents are coming up from Corpus Christi with Lapis, a crib, a bed for Lula, pots and pans, a mattress for us, and a small mountain of other move-in essentials, so when the kids and I get there tomorrow I think we'll be pretty comfortable!

It's weird to think that I've been in Rhode Island for five weeks and even weirder to think about all the phases I've/we've been through since the beginning of our stay. When I got here Joedy and I weren't sure where we'd settle, and I even started looking for a job; we thought Lula might go to my old Montessori school at least for a while. It's been a topsy-turvy time, but things seem ridiculously smoother now, even somewhat normal.

Despite the way my last entry sounded I'm really excited about being in Austin, too. I think the sunlight and the trees will be just fine, and there are lots of people I'm looking forward to connecting/reconnecting with. I'm excited, definitely, if at least to visit the mega-Whole Foods, where apparently you can get a massage while drinking a parsnip mimosa while having your wardrobe overhauled while nibbling free-range bean curd fritters.

I'm sad to leave Providence--it's been great to be here--but I'm sure I'll be back soon.

And now I should continue packing, as soon as I find that stupid hairdryer...

No comments:

Post a Comment