ANOTHER CHAPTER IN THE (JUNGLE) BOOK

Thursday, December 10, 2009


Heavenly horsebrains, it's been a week since I last wrote! Time does fly when you're having fun, which proves a point I've been wanting to make--Limbo does NOT suck, actually! When people take you out to dinner and generally make you feel like you're on vacation after you've been at their house for a whole month, you're experiencing a particularly un-sucky version of Limbo. There's been a lot of uncertainty, some regret, and a little sadness about the Costa Rica denouement, but all in all life is still great--we're healthy, we have loved ones everywhere, and the adventure is still happening! Yippee!

I got into Arizona with Lula and Malko yesterday, after a few hours on a plane run by Ghetto Airways, aka US Airways, which actually had tape holding the toilet down, ridiculously hard small seats, and a disgusting policy of charging small fortunes for overweight checked luggage (this is all I'm going to say, but you can imagine me wanting to kill myself at the ticket counter). Malko charmed all the old ladies sitting around us who were coming back from a Lone Star State tour and that was good, because they offered to hold him while I used the bathroom, which was good, because that way I didn't drop him in the taped-down toilet or expose him to the freakishly strong smell of pee in there. Gross, totally gross! Way to go, US Airways!

Mormor, aka M, aka my mother, picked us up and inoculated us with chocolate as soon as we got into her car. I was feeling a little sad about being away from Joedy and the prospect of not seeing him till the end of January (probably), and I was also weirded out about being one step further away from Samara and all that, but once we got home and saw E (M's boyfriend) everything got cheery and we ate chicken with pot stickers and watched the Jungle Book and all was well again. Today we lingered until 2ish and then we went out to run some errands and I got to go to Trader Joe's! I've missed good ole' TJ--so many of my happy California memories are tied to it.

It's getting late here and I still haven't sampled the Venezuelan chocolate so I'm going to do that now. Not a lot of deep thoughts coming from me, but I'm happy to be here in Scottsdale with M and E, excited about going to Rhode Island next week, and overall not too discontent about the way things are going...I can't complain, really, and so you know what? I'm not!

Coming soon: will Joedy have left for Costa Rica to get the dogs? Will I survive the flight to Providence with Malko on my lap? We can only wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment